Note: EMGR has moved to its own domain name. This site will remain online (but with closed comments) until roughly July 1, 2007. Please update your bookmarks to visit EMGR at its new location: eriemediablog.com.

Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Nice Guy That Captain Dan…But Can You Trust Him With A Chihuahua?


What a guy....that's Jack and I know Jack

(Editor’s Note: After the post about Allan Carpenter, I received nice notes from both Allan and Captain Dan. Dan’s was more than a note. It sort of turned into his reflection on his career in Erie radio and why he not only loves radio but Erie too. I asked the captain if I could share it and he gave his permission.)

Jack,

Many thanks for the kind words on your blog (which I read everyday that you post). I have been blessed by working with folks who are the best in the game on more than one occasion. My decade at Classy 100 with the "original" Breakfast Club resulted in me working with two of the best...Terri Bohen and Newsman Dave Benson. The chemistry that we had could not have been manufactured....it truly was 3 people working as one and playing off each others strengths as well as weaknesses.

After leaving Classy, I had the opportunity to work with legendary Frank Martin and we had this guy Allan who would pop in and deliver the news as only he could. When Frank moved to be the Afternoon Mayor, I insisted that Allan join me as a full fledged partner. I knew he was the guy who would complete the dream team and indeed that dream has come true. You couldn't find a better on air partner and an off air friend. He truly is one of the best in the biz and I am most grateful for each morning we have in the studio. It's 4 and a half hours of fun, enlightenment and camaraderie that again you just can't manufacture.

September 19th will mark our 9th year together as Erie's Morning show and I look forward to many more....and another milestone for me will be in November when I'll celebrate my 19th year getting Erie up and going. I still have a way to match Frank Martin but as long as I can do it... I will.

Yours in great radio and friendship,

Dan

P. S “please give me a job.”....I haven't asked that for the last 19 years because I love radio passionately.

10 comments:

Jack Tirak said...

Not just art had a love affair with WW's. Do you remembver WWGO also WWYN (another ART station) Drove with crazy.

Anonymous said...

And don't forget Dan Geary the "wild Irishman" on WWGO-FM in 1969.

I also remember Dan on the old WWYN...request radio the "WYN Line." Truly free form radio. Probably the only AM station in the country that played all 10 minutes of "Friends of Mine" by the Guess Who on a regular basis.

And whatever happened to Bill Camp..."the Camper?"

Anonymous said...

One of my first jobs in commercial radio was running the board at WEYZ when they were in the Commerce Building downtown. One night, Jim LeCorchick was interviewing hockey legend, Bobby Orr on his show. I must have missed every single break when it was called I was in awe. The bathroom was down the hall, so who had to have a long stop set or song to make it back in time.
I also remember the old WJET 1400 newsroom with the noisy AP machine chugging aweay behind the newsroom's mic. That was back when news was on the hour, every hour for five minutes.

Anonymous said...

Dan mentioned he enjoyed working with the Original breakfast club. He failed to mention Dana Bolles. Wasn't Dana a part of the original breakfast club? Is there a feud between Dan and Dana?

Jack Tirak said...

Anonymous...

Dana was part of the original team of 4 who started the breakfast club. I remember the situation well. Dan had nothing to do with the change. That was strickly management and there was some other internal things going on that help prompt that action.

Anonymous said...

There certainly is no feud between Dana and yours truly.....it was an oversight on my part.....I also worked for a short time with "Story Lady" who preceeded Terri Bohen....but that's another story.

Jack Tirak said...

Now I know who all these anonymous persons are...They are Captain Dan and Allan.

Anonymous said...

No Jack....neither Allan or I am anonymous....we are, however, in the witness protection program....that is until you blew our cover.....now we must abandon our tandem bicycle.

Anonymous said...

Any reason why you want to remain in hiding anonymous #1, #2 and #3?? LOL.

Anonymous said...

I'm not hiding....I'm right here on your radio....well maybe not yours but many others.....