Note: EMGR has moved to its own domain name. This site will remain online (but with closed comments) until roughly July 1, 2007. Please update your bookmarks to visit EMGR at its new location: eriemediablog.com.

Wednesday, August 02, 2006

FCC Name’s Jack Tirak A DTV Deputy


Not since I received my third class license in 1965 have I been so honored. (Guess I haven’t lived much) Both required a test of knowledge, but I passed it. You can become one too. Just take the DTV test at http://dtv.gov/dtvquiz.html. It is a three stage quiz of your digital television knowledge. At the end, you can print out your DTV Deputy certificate in full color. (Not even my 3rd phone was in color)

The first thing I am going to do as a DTV Deputy is arrest any television station that claims they don’t have to go digital without providing their proof. (Ignorance is a capital offence in my book) Second is to give a 60 day summons to stations that don’t announce their high definition intent. (This town isn’t big enough for both of us-- I guess I was at the WQLN volunteer party a little long)

It is a fun test and it is challenging, but self teaching. The consumer has so many technologies to pick from and in various price ranges for receivers. Sony just announced a 103 inch super HD set. (Your mother-in-law and your cat will have to move)

Next: Are there any really good television broadcasters around?

4 comments:

Jenson said...

Yay! Now I'm a FCC DTV Deputy too.

I'd like to thank the academy-- oh wait. My education and employment experience got me an A+ on the Quiz. No Studying Required. Bring the HDTV on!

--J. Robinson

Jack Tirak said...

Jenson... you may have beaten me. I got just 2 wrong.

Anonymous said...

I didn't miss any questions. But anyone can download the certificate. It's located at http://dtv.gov/dtvCert.pdf .

Jack Tirak said...

Erik...you did some real digging back in these posts.

Good for you Deputy.