Note: EMGR has moved to its own domain name. This site will remain online (but with closed comments) until roughly July 1, 2007. Please update your bookmarks to visit EMGR at its new location: eriemediablog.com.

Monday, August 07, 2006

Rick Rambaldo---"The Wolf... Was My Decision."

(The following was from Rick Rambaldo. It was his answer to a critical listener about the change to the Wolf on 93.9 FM. It is re-printed with Rick's permission. If you would like to make a guest posting, send it to me at the address in my profile with your permission to re-print)

Know it also was my belief and decision, living in Erie for past 17 years, to take off the Legends.

I'm 57 years old and I sold country music in Cleveland, Ohio when the Legends were being played as currents. I enjoyed them then as I do now. However, when you mix old and new, some of the younger end leave the dial position because they do not appreciate the older songs. People my age love current music and will stay, for the most part, when a station plays only currents.

I launched Rocket 101, Star 104, and your favorite... and The Planet and one thing that I've learned is you can not satisfy everyone's taste. I constantly hear great things about Rocket, Star and Froggy...and the Arbitron ratings, year after year after year, confirm how much they are liked and listened to.

...I believe in a market this size that the people of Erie have great Radio, great choices and great longstanding personalities.

--Rick Rambaldo--

“Congress passed a law on February 1, 2006, setting a final deadline for the DTV transition of February 17, 2009. Most television stations will continue broadcasting both analog and digital programming until February 17, 2009, when all analog broadcasting will stop.” FCC www.DTV.gov

Just 25 Days To Go Before WSEE DT Channel 16 Construction Permit Expires.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why would we want Rick Rambaldo to buy our station? Rick doesn't know his ass from a hole in the ground let alone how to run a TV station!

Your countdown clock is amusing. We all get a good laugh at it. What are you gonna do? File with the FCC against us? Jack, you can't touch us! Can't touch us!

HAMMER TIME!

Anonymous said...

You can come down to the station anytime you want. You can tell us how to run our business since you are the expert.

By the way, Engineering says there is nothing wrong with our analog signal. You do understand that we have engineers who went to school for many years. Don't rip us anymore. Your AVS Blog is quite popular here.

Who's gonna write in next? Carol Pella? Regis Philbin? David Sarnoff?

Anonymous said...

I respectfully disagree with the decision to change the 93.9 format. You now have a cookie-cutter station that is identical to Country 98 or 100.3 Froggy/Meadville. The Legends format stood apart and made 93.9 unique. There are many people I know in their 30's who love the old songs and hate the new country. Who wants to hear the same songs on every station? Why should I listen to The Wolf when I can hear the same songs on any country station on the dial?

For the record, I was a fan of The Planet and I listen to FM 96 (95.9) out of Canada as my station of choice. My husband is the country fan so I am forced to listen to it occasionally. 93.9 was the only station around that played "old" country and it was a nice change of pace. I do agree with the other poster about the signal strength - you can hear Star 104 in Chatauqua NY or Meadville PA but 93.9 seemed to fade at the Erie city limits.

As a side note, when we travel outside of the Erie market, you hear "mix" stations where they might play an 80's Madonna song followed by a new Keith Urban song - what a concept!

Here's hoping that the Legends concept will make a comeback...possibly slated for April 1, 2007???