Note: EMGR has moved to its own domain name. This site will remain online (but with closed comments) until roughly July 1, 2007. Please update your bookmarks to visit EMGR at its new location: eriemediablog.com.

Thursday, August 03, 2006

What Makes A Real Broadcaster?

I have received several emails asking me if I am pessimistic about Erie broadcasting and if there are still any real broadcasters out there rather than just bean counters?

In Erie TV, we have bean counters at both NEXSTAR and SJL. Is that bad? No, broadcasters have to turn a profit, but it is the way they do it that makes the difference. Let me tell you what I think a good broadcaster with the proper leadership skills should be.


Set the highest standards of integrity, character, honesty and fairness.
Articulate a clear vision of what is to be accomplished.
Communicate effectively.
Help others succeed.
Respect and trust your colleagues.
Value different skills, talent and ideas.
Recognize good performances.
Be customer focused.
Be passionate and take pride in what you do.
WIN!

Sounds like nobody can fit that description but you’re wrong. It is actually the leadership description as espoused by Hearst-Argyle Television. http://www.hearstargyle.com/index.html They own or manage 25 stations including 10 NBC affiliates, 13 ABC affiliates and just 2 CBS affiliates. (Seems like they could use a few more CBS) Yes, this is the same Hearst as the publishing empire and they started their broadcasting division in 1928.

This group is not only profitable, but they did it with dedication to the communities they serve and to their employees. They are also trend setters in innovation. See what they are proud of:


Hearst-Argyle Television has been a pioneer in the DTV rollout through early
investments in DTV conversion in our local markets, and our stations across the
country are broadcasting primetime and major events in spectacular
high-definition.
We've also pioneered local high-definition (HD) production:
WCVB-DT, Boston, our largest digital station, began producing HD episodes of its
award-winning, highly rated local public affairs program, "Chronicle," in 1998
and continues to produce special HD editions today.

Now I know what our local broadcasters would say... “They’re in the top 100 markets and Erie is 143. " Not so fast simulated broadcaster breath, two of their stations are in the 100 to 150 rank. I am not saying that they are the only responsible broadcasters who show vision, but they are a good example that you can have vision and make money by putting ethics and ideals first. Let the bean counters sit in the back where they belong.

I would give my right arm to see a broadcaster like Hearst-Argyle come into the Erie market and set up shop. (Now that should give some incentive to 13th and Peach) But I am afraid there is little chance of that.

As I have said before, Erie does have its problems. It is going to take innovative and bold thinking to get us out of the malaise that our politicians put us into and now our broadcasters seem to use this same excuse. Is it going to take money?…you bet and big money at that. I have faith in Erie or I would not have spent almost my entire career here.

Is Rick Rambaldo the only one left and for how long?

“Congress passed a law on February 1, 2006, setting a final deadline for the DTV transition of February 17, 2009. Most television stations will continue broadcasting both analog and digital programming until February 17, 2009, when all analog broadcasting will stop.” FCC www.DTV.gov

29 days to go before DT channel 16 construction permit expires.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am afraid that there are no longer "local broadcasters" in Erie. The day that Myron Jones and John Kanzius sold their interest is the day that owner apathy began. Broadcasters like Mr. Jones, Mr. Kanzius and Edward Lamb (WICU)realized the massive responsibility of owning a broadcasting facility. Public interest was paramount, perhaps due to FCC mandate, but I'd like to think that it was purely out of pride for the product. Those were the days when viewers would approach these men and mention something they liked or disliked on their air waves. Nowadays, corporate entities never see what goes out over the airewaves and don't really care as long as the bottom line is not altered. Newsrooms are filled with "20-something Katie Couric wannabes" who don't know the difference between libel and slander! What do I know about the subject? I worked for all three of these broadcasters and can say that there was no better time to be working in Erie television. To quotes Don McClean, the day that local owners "took the last train for the coast" is the day "the music died".

Anonymous said...

Jack,
First off I enjoy your blog and read it daily along with some of the other Erie Blogs and find them all very interesting and entertaining. It allows me to keep abreast of local events and issues in my hometown.

I remember well the locally owned TV Stations and their tremendous sense of community as well as the owners who set the examples. Those were as it is said, ‘the good-ole days’ and I’m sure we will see those days again. Trade was the norm and everyone made money and wore big smiles on their faces. But, being a small market and the amount of leveraged money it took for these out of town concerns to purchase the Erie stations, it is not difficult to understand their obsession with the bottom line. Being a former business owner myself in Erie, I know how difficult it is to turn a profit there.

Your take on the Hearst-Argyle Group is right on the money. It is a well known fact within the very small world of the TV Industry. They are everything their leadership code describes and employment opportunities with them are far and few between. My Son-in-Law worked for them in sales in a major market for a few years prior to making career move up to a #14 network owned station. Sooner or later Hearst-Argyle Group will come under new leadership and the values will most likely change. Nothing lasts forever. I doubt the viewers will suffer because larger markets demand a certain level of broadcasting for the advertising dollar and unlike a #143 market, larger markets generate a tremendous cash flow.

My wife is one of those bean-counters you spoke of in your blog today. Her position in the corporate structure is the network owned station level. She worked in the #143 Erie market prior to moving on to a major network and has worked at three major stations in three different markets ranked between #14 and #20. The bottom line with these corporations is the money and there is really nothing wrong with that. In her defense she sometimes is frustrated with the bottom line thinking and doesn’t necessarily agree with it when it comes to some issues. Unfortunately, it is what it is, so what are you going to do?

I have had the pleasure of meeting some of the brightest, nicest and most talented young professionals at each station she’s been to and that includes Erie. These young adults put their hearts and soul into their work and set some very high standards for themselves. They will pick up where the old timers left off never knowing the ‘good old days’ and the industry will move along just fine.

Jack Tirak said...

(COMMENT)

I received the following from what sounds like a local TV station somewhere in Erie. I was not going to post because of the language used. However...

"TIRAK!!!!

HOW THE F**K DID YOU HEAR ABOUT HEARST-ARGYLE!!?? WE WILL TEAR THE STATION APART AND FIND YOUR LEAK! "

What is interesting is that I had no idea when I posted a few weeks ago that the Erie CBS affiliate was being shopped that it was Hearst-Argyle that was looking. Now you told me and all your competition.

I have always admired their operation and wanted to point out that there are still good broadcasters out there.

Anonymous said...

I agree with what you say about HDTV. I have a small set-up in the breezeway in Fairview where I can watch stuff, and not bother the wife. Only 2,3 shows in HD, all on WQLN ,thanks for that QLN folks. Been an Erie guy for all my 56 years, I can't see anything changing…small market, big company ownership. What really pisses me off is local radio: ie big company stuffing crap down your throat, mostly 94.7. I grew up listening to CKLW and when RKO owned them they played everything! My wife is from NYC and says the music was from there, but several trips we have taken in my SUV, with XM shows she doesn’t know anything, she couldn’t sing along to songs I knew; Wilmer Alexander, etc. Froggy’s play list is 300 songs. Don’t call Shannon Solo and request a song that didn’t make the top ten. Thanks Jack for letting me vent. Go XM.

Anonymous said...

Tom,
Have you ever called me with a
request? If so, what was it?
I don't blame you for your lack
of knowledge on this matter but
respectfully you are wrong.
thanks
Shannon Solo