Note: EMGR has moved to its own domain name. This site will remain online (but with closed comments) until roughly July 1, 2007. Please update your bookmarks to visit EMGR at its new location: eriemediablog.com.

Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Breaking News! FCC Says 7 Dirty Words... are Still F***ing Dirty.

FCC Defends Cussing Crackdown
By John Eggerton -- Broadcasting & Cable, 12/6/2006 5:54:00 PM

Saying broadcasters have "only limited First Amendment protection," that the V-chip is "ineffective," and that they gave the industry notice it was changing policy on swear words, the FCC Wednesday both defended its profanity findings against cussing in Fox's Billboard Music Awards and defended the underpinnings of its entire indecency enforcement regime.
That defense came in its filing (Editor's Note: click on "filing" for full story including a frank legal discussion of the "F"-word) to the Second Circuit Court of Appeals of a brief responding to a broadcaster challenge of four profanity rulings issued last March.

Saying that the Pacifica case--the so-called Seven dirty words Supreme Court decision--upholding its indecency enforcement powers was "good law," the FCC disputed Fox's contention that its definition of indecency is unconstitutionally vague.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like you-know-who is going to have to be a little more careful with his on-air "F" Bombs!?

Anonymous said...

Tonight on FOX 66 1opm News Brian Sheridan was live from Buffalo Wild Wings. While he was doing his report you could easily hear an excited fan yell "Run You F**ker Run!!!" I guess the Steelers scored a touchdown and the fan was happy!?

Would this constitute an FCC violation? FOX (JET) didn't bleep it and I don't think Brian heard it but I TiVo'd it and played it back a couple times and yep, the "F" Bomb!

Anonymous said...

Does this mean Scott Bremner will have to be careful he doesn't say the good old "F" Bomb while on air?

I hear Joey Stevens has quite the potty mouth off air.

Anonymous said...

Allow me to be the first! I just love saying it........ "F*** IT!"

Anonymous said...

I heard the F word also last night on FOX news. I'm surprised they let it happen. I know it was a live shot but they really goofed on this one.

Any comment from Lou "Frosty" Baxter on this?

Anonymous said...

I called JET about this. I don't know who they gave me to but whoever it was hung up on me.

I wasn't looking to get anyone in trouble. I just wondered if this constituted an FCC violation?

F Bombs Away!

Jack Tirak said...

WFXP is really protected from that sort of thing. The FCC considers that a live news event that is out of their control. The awareds program the FCC considers totally in Fox's control as the presenters are supposed to be scripted.

FCC spits hairs but gives more freedom to real news events. So I woudn't be hard to FOX. They had no way of controlling the situation as it was really off mike.

Anonymous said...

OK. Thanks for clarifying that for me.

Anonymous said...

However, if this happened on WSEE, we would all be calling for their license to be revoked!! It's just SJL/Lilly trying to cut back/save money/cheat the viewer!

Jack Tirak said...

If you read back a bit on another post, you will see there were reports that a WSEE anchor did the same thing at the end of the newscast when he thought mike was off.

Anonymous said...

And Jack if you read back, someone from SEE posted saying they checked the air check and that those reports were lies. No swearing.

Jack Tirak said...

Since I didn’t watch it…I can’t “swear” to it either. However, the person who reported it also answered that they DVR’d it and checked it.

I don’t know who is really correct but I did report both. Only the anchor knows for sure and and he or she isn’t identifying themselves.

Anonymous said...

I hear the folks at FOX reviewed the tape of the live shot, and there was no F-bomb. Run Parker Run....sounds alot like Run F#$%er Run. And Parker ran all over my Brownies. At least that's what I was told politely on the phone.