Note: EMGR has moved to its own domain name. This site will remain online (but with closed comments) until roughly July 1, 2007. Please update your bookmarks to visit EMGR at its new location: eriemediablog.com.

Friday, November 24, 2006

Can You Help An Old Erie D.J. Find his Air-Checks?

I received an email and a phone call from one of our Canadian readers who is a friend of an old Erie D.J. by the name of Charley Gray (Smith). Charlie is not doing very well right now and it would mean much to him and his family if he could find an air-check or even a commercial his voice might be on.

He is from the days of WWGO -AM radio and was the morning man from about 1963-1967. The one thing I found out is that classic D.J.'s usually keep air tapes of themselves and others forever. If you have memories of Charlie you would like to share or you think you may have something with his voice on it. Let EMGR know. Thanks Jay Christy of 102.3 FM Belleville, Ontario.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are you referring to Chuck Smith, who worked in technical operations for WSEE, WQLN, and probably a couple of other stations around town too ? The person I am remembering was a ham radio operator (W3ZLO) and later became heavily involved in church activities. IIRC, he did do an air shift at WWGO-AM in the 60s and in fact was also instrumental in the initial construction of WWGO-FM 103.7 (which of course became K-104).

Jack Tirak said...

You sound like you might have nailed it. I wasn't sure if his air name was Chuck Gray and his real name was Chuck Smith.

Anonymous said...

Sure appears like we are talking about the same guy. I'm certain his name was Charles "Chuck" Smith, and for some reason I think I remember that "Gray" was his middle name (maybe I saw it on his FCC 1st class radiotelephone license ?) which made for an easy choice as airname.

As I alluded to before, I remember that he became a born-again Christian sometime in the early-1970s; perhaps he was associated at one time or another with WCTL-FM, and Joel Natalie just might be able to provide more info beyond what I have.

In any case, I'm sorry to hear that he is having health problems now.

Anonymous said...

That would be the legendary Chuck Gray in the gray room....high atop the Commerce Building(well the 2nd floor).He was an engineer when I was there as Country gentleman Dan Geary....unfortunately I have no airchecks of Chuck,,,,and fortunately no airchecks of me from that first radio gig.Hope you are doing better Chuck,
The Captain

Anonymous said...

What exactly is wrong with him? Is he very ill or sickly? Can you be more specific?

Jack Tirak said...

I didn't ask the specifics from Jay. He just said that Chuck's "health is not good." He still has a small recording studio where Jay met him a few years ago and is married.

I can identify with his condition.

Jay also said that he started his carrier in Titusville at WTIV and then went on to WWGO.

I didn't ask further.

Anonymous said...

I remember "Charles Gray & The Gray Room" on WWGO. It's nice to hear that name again...although I wish it were under better circumstances.

Anonymous said...

Jack wrote "Jay also said that he started his carrier in Titusville at WTIV..."

If that isn't a Freudian slip, I've never seen one !

Jack Tirak said...

More of a slip of the typeing fingers. "career"

Radio Free JoJo said...

It is possible that he is related to George Smith, of WRIE engineering fame, who was one of the originators of WCTL? George passed away decades ago. Unfortunately, I don't know of any airchecks.

Jack Tirak said...

Charlie's friend wrote me to tell me that he printed out your responses so far and shared them with Charlie. It put a smile on his face.