Note: EMGR has moved to its own domain name. This site will remain online (but with closed comments) until roughly July 1, 2007. Please update your bookmarks to visit EMGR at its new location: eriemediablog.com.

Wednesday, November 29, 2006

The Passion Of Being A D.J.!

Before I studied broadcasting and had the opportunity to know many great D.J.’s I used to think that ego was the D.J’s prime motivator. As I got to know more of them, and talked to them and really listened to what they said “off-the-Air,” I could tell they were so much more.

In television you are part of a team and you are only as strong as the weakest link that supports you behind the cameras. In radio, you really are a one-man band. Sitting mostly alone in a studio unless you have duo or more like the Breakfast Club on Classy or the Morning Show on Froggy. It is you and the listener. The real art of a D.J. is not spinning a certain play list that consultants tell you to do, but envisioning the invisible faces inside that microphone; knowing that you are having a conversation with just that one person. That takes art, imagination and tremendous skill.

The D.J.’s that I have known have a passion about their craft and an appreciation for their brothers who also share in this unique industry. I can see all this in the comments that come down the pike on EMGR from you D.J.’s. (Anyone guess the classic D.J. pictured here)

The format doesn’t matter. It is the sense of timing that comes with practice in years of hard work. I worry that the industry has become so mechanized that we no longer have a true training ground for the next generation. Jack…Bob… ETC formats as well as satellite are taking away the opportunities for young people to have that opportunity to make mistakes and learn from their older piers.

The D.J. is fast becoming the unsung and maybe disappearing hero of broadcasting. So many D.J.’s give more than music to the audience they serve. They are also great public motivators to get an audience behind a worthy cause. Most of them do it, not because management tells them to, but because they want to make a difference. That’s where the personal satisfaction comes from. They do this with many more hours than they get paid. They do it from the heart.

When Captain Dan and others say they “love radio with a passion,” they mean it. Sitting in that studio, they are the masters of their domain. (Not to be confused with a certain Seinfeld episode of the same name.)

The great D.J.’s I have known often have a shy side to their personality that changes the moment they hit the on-air button. The studio is their real home and the audience their real sustenance.

For any students in communications who read EMGR, take the opportunity to find, meet and learn from the vintage masters of the platter at WOLD.

"Congress passed a law on February 1, 2006, setting a final deadline for the DTV transition of February 17, 2009. Most television stations will continue broadcasting both analog and digital programming until February 17, 2009, when all analog broadcasting will stop.." FCC http://www.dtv.gov/

A day without the Breakfast Club, Captain Dan and Alan or the other Erie radio personalities, is like a day without an enema.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I got into this business because I was inspired by the greats of Erie radio...Frank Martin, Randy Michaels, Jim Connors, Tony Jay (not to be confused with my good friend Tony Jay currently doing afternoons at Classy 100) Johnny Holiday (Bob Bach) at WJET...Bob Ocean, Dan Geary, Darby Giles, Freddie K and Pat Christopher at WWGO-FM, and Bill Camp on WWYN during their short lived "WYN-LINE era (late 1970).

Back in the summer of '74 I filled in for two weeks babysitting the board at WJET for the Al Knight show (THAT'S a whole 'nuther story I'll save for later) and I remember coming in an hour early just so I could talk with and watch Joey Stevens at work. He was truly amazing on the air.

And I remember when I felt that I had really "arrived" in this business...it was the morning I heard a commercial with my voice on it being played by Frank Martin!!

Oh and the moment I fired up my first song at WCCK...3/18/76..."You Sexy Thing" by Hot Chocolate...THAT was indescribeable!

Radio Free JoJo said...

As a little kid I really thought that Lou Tullio handed over the reins of the city to the Morning Mayor Frank Martin until Lou got to his 5th Floor office!

Listening to JET's coverage of the "Paul Is Dead" hoax, the year-end countdowns (Joy To The World #1 in 1973), calling in as a kid to Joy Greco or John Speciale on Contact, so many memories of radio interwined in my upbringing. It was so cool that my teacher and mentor at Gannon was (and still is) also the Mighty Quinn on the radio. Of course, the idea of using the new genre of music called Contemporary Christian that could encourage people in their everyday lives drove me to this career.

Anonymous said...

jimg, WOW Big Al Knight, I still tune him in when I,m in Y'towm (Dick Thompson)WSOM Salem Ohio.

Anonymous said...

Big Al Knght's still on the air???

I'll always remember my favorite Big Al line:

"If you don't like what you're hearing...POW, kick your radio!"

When I have more time, I'll have to tell my "running the Big Al show" experience.

Anonymous said...

Yea, Checkout the WSOM website

Jack Tirak said...

I am surprised that nobody commented on the pictures of Alan Freed. The first D.J. King of Rock & Roll.

Anonymous said...

I interviewed Steve Rosen on McDowell's tv station in '86, and he has been unable to rid me as a friend to this day. Listening to Andy Pressman in the AM with Dan O'Connor, and John Minton/then Steve at night, convinced me radio was next for me. Some guy named JJ Sanford hired me and put me in a Kangaroo suit for three years. Ah, the memories!